Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: 515B Matched Pair

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Good point Bowtie An added note for Josh, if buying from
    an unknown source, I would need to know exactly what they mean by
    'matched pair' with the numbers to back it up. The L value (inductance)
    tells you more about a driver than just DCR alone.
    In the Consumer sector of Audio, the terminology tends to be abused
    to the max anyway, so you must be careful.


    forums

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    515B Matched Pair


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Art and Bowtie are spot on. Two drivers could be made the same day and still not be matched.

    I did mention earlier if you had them gone over at GPA you could consider them matched. If you are picky, buy them blown up and have GPA redo including a magnet charge.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Not if there's a decent QA program in place. Unfortunately, Altec's went the way of the Dodo bird over time and the 'net is littered with hucksters, so I agree, better to buy units that need rebuilding since GPA can make them functionally pristine.

    GM

  4. #14
    Inactive Member jdlowe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for you opinions. Yall have some very good points.
    I guess I am trying to figure out if Altec sold speakers in "Matched Pairs." How else would someone claim they are matched unless they did lab tests or something along those lines. There is more to a speaker than just reading measurements across the voice coil. Right???

    Josh

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,
    Here is a photo of part of assembly line at Altec
    Lansing.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page02.jpg


    ...........................................

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member
    515B Matched Pair


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by jdlowe13:
    Thanks for you opinions. Yall have some very good points.
    I guess I am trying to figure out if Altec sold speakers in "Matched Pairs." How else would someone claim they are matched unless they did lab tests or something along those lines. There is more to a speaker than just reading measurements across the voice coil. Right???

    Josh
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In close to 40 years of associating with Altec equipment I have never seen an ad for "matched piars". They may have put one out but I sure didn't see it.

    You are correct about matching.

    I have been trying to say this politely but maybe it's better just to be blunt- most of the people advertising amtched pairs are concentratng on the "advertising" rather than the "matched".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.